Friday, April 27, 2012

Awning

Technically, the deck isn't part of our garden, but since it contributes to the overall outdoor feel, I felt like it would be appropriate to include it on this little blog. Anyway, Charles and I have wanted to put on awning on our deck since we first moved in. During the summer the sun blazes on our deck all morning and into the afternoon. It is not uncommon for the temperatures to reach triple digits by ten a.m. and hang out there until well past dinnertime. So we finally invested in an awning. This was as much for the use of the deck as it was to try to keep down the cost of our electric bill during the summer months.

Already we have had the chance to use it a few times because our weather has been unseasonably warm (followed by ridiculously cold). The children love it and Charles and I are pleased at how much more our deck feels like another room of our house, and not like some forbidden place no one wants to venture.

Also, Charles had every intention of installing this himself, but even with his handy tools he couldn't find the studs and so he didn't dare put it up himself. After all, it weighs nearly a ton. So we hired some guys to come out and install if for us. They were very, very friendly, kind to the children, brought their gorgeous Golden Retriever, and had the awning up in about forty-five minutes. If anyone (local) wants a recommendation for them (they also do fence work and deck work) I would be happy to pass along their information.

Finally, before we get to the photos, I have been trying to post an entry about our garden clean-up that took place over Easter weekend. But I can't seem to get my photos to talk to my computer. I should be able to see them on my photo stream. And I see photos from before and after that weekend just fine, but the ones I actually need are missing. So I have to beg Charles to solve this technical glitch. When he does, I'll treat you to some photos of what it looks like to have a garden all spruced up.

So, back to the awning. Here are the photos:

Before

After


Underneath

No comments:

Post a Comment