Sunday, January 1, 2012

And So it Begins

Happy New Year and welcome to Our Humble Garden!

My intention was to start off this blog with before and after pictures of our garden, but the before pictures are buried deep in the Williams Family Digital Archives and I don't even pretend to know how to plumb those depths. I must rely on Charles for this and that means it is unlikely that they will ever be uncovered. He is fabulous at many things, but not so good at mustering up the excitement to dig around in our various external hard drives looking for long-lost pictures.

Instead, I shall begin by posting some shots he took of our garden last May, after it had been all spruced up for the spring. In addition to that, I'll give you a brief synopsis of what I envision for this blog.

When we moved into this house in May of 2009, the yard was just that -- a yard. It was mostly green and in the back right corner there was an eyesore of a shed. My sister, Johanna, moved in with us that same month and she set about transforming our yard into a beautiful garden. She put in many, many hours of manual labor and even more time and love into planning, designing and planting our current garden. She has a true talent for taking something boring like a rectangular patch of grass and turning it into something unique and beautiful, which is what I believe our garden has become.

I would like to use this blog to celebrate that transformation and the ongoing transformation that is our garden. My plan is to take photos of the garden at the beginning of each month (barring inclement weather) and post them. I want to show how our garden evolves with each season. I also want to visually document any major changes that take place, including the intensive work that Johanna puts into the garden each spring and autumn. Beyond that, I would like to chronicle our experiments with organic gardening, our major projects like putting in a patio, and anything else that comes up.

Without further ado:

The right side of the garden (main garden area)

The left side of the garden (our path)

View from the back fence toward the house

Our garden spiral surrounding our Crape Myrtle

Aerial view of the garden from our deck

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then keep tuning in! Jo and I sat down for a planning session yesterday, so I am now really excited.

    ReplyDelete